Our mission is to work with the residents of the City of Alma to create a vision for the future of the City by developing and implementing plans and programs that will make Alma’s neighborhoods great places to live, work and play.
The Department fundamental responsibility is to plan the city’s future and develop the rules, regulations, and funding sources to carry out the plans. Additionally, the City Code and Ordinances, as well as state law and federal regulations direct the department to:
- Advise the Mayor on any matter affecting the physical development
- Assist the Planning Commission in the development of all City plans
- Review and make recommendations regarding proposed action by the City Council and other City Departments regarding implementation of City plans
- Prepare rules and regulations to govern a subdivision of land
- Develop and maintain the Zoning Ordinance
- Oversee all matters which lead to improvement in the type, distribution, intensity, and treatment of land and building use
The building department’s primary functions are code enforcement and building permits/inspections.
The code enforcement officer/building inspector is certified by the State for Code Enforcement in Building, Plumbing, Mechanical, and Electrical codes. He is also certified by the State as the Fire Marshall for the City of Alma.
Code enforcement’s primary objectives are:
- Insure the properties within the city are safe and aesthetically pleasing to maintain neighborhoods and property values by enforcing city codes and ordinances.
- To insure contractors are providing services to our citizens in compliance with National, State, and City regulations
Overgrown Grass: One of the most common violations of Ordinance 2017-6 is overgrown grass. The Ordinance states that grass over 8” in height is in violation and is subject to a warning and followed by a citation if not corrected within 7 days. All Property owners are responsible for the maintenance of grass to the edge of the street that immediately joins their property. This includes drainage ditches which will also be kept free and clean from obstruction that blocks proper water drainage.
Always check with the Building Department before beginning a project to determine if a permit is required. Online Permit Application can be found in the “Permits” section of this website.
Always check the zoning before beginning a project to insure you are in compliance with current ordinances and regulations.
If you have any questions regarding zoning, contact the Planning Department: 479.632.0441 or firstname.lastname@example.org
If you plan to build a subdivision or want to divide your property into several lots, you will have to follow our regulations.
If you have any questions regarding the subdivision regulations, contact the Planning Department: 479.632.0441 or email@example.com
You may want to check if your property is located within the floodplain. If your property is, you will have to adhere to ordinance 2017-12. The FEMA floodplain map can be viewed below.
If you have any questions regarding the Floodplain, contact the Planning Department: 479.632.0441 or firstname.lastname@example.org